Friday, October 07, 2005

Fantastic Plastic

Sold the house yesterday.

It was the first "real" house that I ever purchased. When She and I first got married, we had purchased a house from her parents. That really didn't count, because they bent over backwards to make certain we could afford it. I think they were just as happy to be rid of the headache of renting it to college students.

When we moved into the DC area, we rented an apartment in Frederick, MD. A year later, we moved to the house I just sold in Damascus. We sold the house back in The Blessed Motherland after one year of the aggrevation of college renters. No wonder her parents let it go cheap.

So a lot happened in the Damascus house: found my first real job, experienced my first full year of "Commuting: Satanic Style!", went through a depressing divorce, post-divorce dating, putting a relationship back together. A lot went on there. More than I could have ever imagined.

Yet, it's been easier than I thought it would be. I thought I would be really depressed about it, but I'm not. I look forward to having an enormous number of debts paid off, no hassles about home repair (at least not in MD), a shorter commute... so many good things now, it's hard to get all worked up about a house.

In one of the last conversations I had with Dad, we talked a bit about farming. I had told him that I enjoyed farming, but I just didn't know when I would be able to do it again. I felt like I had so much else going on and it was even uncertain if I would return to WV. He said that coming back to WV was not necessary for farming. "Land is land, nothing else. You can make it into a farm if you want to, but it's just land."

A house is just a house. Nothing else. A home is something you can make out of a house, but my home is not in MD any longer. It's in VA, back with Her.

2 Comments:

Blogger Adam said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:53 PM  
Blogger MAW said...

Congrats on joining the bloggy world. :)

4:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home