Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Back in the saddle!

So, after shoulder surgery in November, finally getting to be back on a bike around March, and now in Richmond where mountain biking is literally 5 minutes from my door, I am truly back into biking.

After running with the guys in MD, I have noted a serious difference in the people here in Richmond so far. Since they are almost all gearies, they slow down a lot on hills. Yes, I still have gears, but I'm so used to being with single speeders that I automatically hammer hills without thinking, even when I'm ready to barf a lung. I suspect that I just haven't found the right "clique" in the Richmond pool of bikers yet. I will soon enough.

One of the upshoots of my accident is that I was so careful when I got back on the bike that I was sort of "hyperaware" of my body position. My balance has improved immensely because of this. I find it very easy to do track stands now, and hop the bike over larger obstacles as opposed to rolling over them. I also find myself more comfortable in the air now, so I launch over a lot of stuff (especially downhill) more than ever before. I take a few minutes now before and after my rides to do some wheelies, balance work and simple trials stuff in the parking lot by the car.

Thinking about Jones bars again. I like Kevin's Mary bars from On-One, but I keep feeling like I would like to reach forward for big hills (I'm too light in the front). The Mary bars will not provide this reach, but the Jones bars will. Hmmm...

I am strongly consuidering entering the Shenandoah Mountain 100. It's in September, and I think I have a good start on training. If I can keep up with what I have started, I think that I can do the race and at least finish (my goal). I think I still have time to enter.

Herself needs a new bike. Her Specialized was never really sized correctly for her as a mountain bike, and it's wearing out it's components at any rate. It would make a good X bike for her. Thinking about shopping this weekend. There's a Performance bike in Richmond now, and they usually have good sales. We did Poor GFarm last night, and she had all kinds of issues, mostly bike related. I can't help the mental focus issues... that just comes with experience.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home